So are you ready for the new IPEDs reporting requirements on race ethnicity due for the 2010-2011 academic year? Your first step needs to be getting the right pieces in place to collect this data by Fall of 2010 to be able to report. The Department of Education is encouraging all institutions to collect race and ethnicity in the new format immediately, which means start the collection process as soon as possible.
Here is an example question that would fulfill the requirements:
Do you consider yourself to be Hispanic/Latino?
In addition, select one or more of the following racial categories to describe yourself:
American Indian or Alaska Native
Black or African American
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
Please note the following:
- You must ask the questions in the order above (Ethnicity before Race)
- You can use any word such as “Select”, “Mark”, “Choose” but CANNOT use “one or more” or “all that apply”
- You CANNOT require these questions to be answered on collection, however you are not “required” to tell them that answering the questions is optional
- You can ask further racial categories, the questions above are the bare minimal requirements
- For postsecondary institutions, presenting the data collection form to students and staff is sufficient to ensure that individuals have had an opportunity to respond
An example of the new IPEDs question in a live application: